Ingredients (serves 6)
Duration: 75 min
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC.
- Place in a food processor: the onion, garlic, ginger, with the coriander stalks and chillies (deseed if you like), and whiz to a fine paste.
- Put the spices and curry leaves into the roasting tray on a low heat with 2 tablespoons of groundnut oil and fry for 1 minute, or until smelling fantastic, stirring constantly. Tip in the paste and cook for 5 minutes, or until softened, stirring regularly. Stir in the peanut butter, mango chutney and tamarind paste, season with a good pinch of sea salt and black pepper, then scrape into a bowl, adding a splash of water to loosen to a paste, if needed.
- Leaving them intact at the stalk, cut the aubergines into quarters lengthways, rub them in generously with the paste. Then arrange them in the tray.
- Place the tray on a medium heat and fry for 5 minutes, turning halfway. Add the coconut milk, roughly chop and sprinkle over the tomatoes, season well with salt and pepper, and bring to the boil.
- Cover with tin foil and roast for 40 minutes, or until thickened and reduced, removing the foil halfway.
- 20 minutes before removing the curry from the oven, prepare the rice by following instructions on package.
- Serve the dish with the fluffy rice, an extra big scoop of Abbot Kinney’s Coco Greek Style, lime and some fresh coriander leaves to taste.